The Secretary of the Comunn na Piobaireachd NZ (CNP) Music Committee, Greg Wilson, today announced the Clasp and Gold Medal tunes for the 2011 contest to be held at the Hawke’s Bay Highland Games, Easter 2011. CNP has reintroduced an eight set tune list for the Clasp and Gold Medal after having an own choice competition in 2010. Click here for the full list, inclduing the Silver Medal.
- *The Battle of Sherrifmuir – PS Bk 15.
- MacKenzie of Applecross’ Salute – PS Bk 10.
- *The End of the Great Bridge – PS Bk 2.
- The Park Piobaireachd No 2 – PS Bk 4.
- His Father’s Lament for Donald MacKenzie – PS Bk 9.
- Lament for the Earl of Antrim – PS Bk 3.
- Lament for Colin Roy MacKenzie – PS Bk 3.
- The Earl of Ross’s March – PS Bk 10.
* beside a tune indicates a crunluath a mach variation is compulsory.
The winner receives the First Prize, the Louis MacKinnon Challenge Cup and a Clasp for the Gold Medal. The competition is confined to winners of the Society’s Gold Medal. Competitors are to submit 4 tunes chosen from the list of 8 Clasp tunes above, one of which they will be required to play. There must be a minimum of 3 competitors or the event will not be held.
Gold Medal Competition
1. *The MacNab’s Gathering – PS Bk 5.
2. The Battle of Strome – PS Bk 5.
3. Glengarry’s March – PS Bk 2.
4. The Kings Taxes – PS Bk 5.
5. *The Battle of Auldearn No 1 – PS Bk 2.
6. The Earl of Seaforth’s Salute – PS Bk 5.
7. The MacDougalls’ Gathering – PS Bk 5.
8. MacCrimmon’s Sweetheart – PS Bk 7.
* beside a tune indicates a crunluath a mach variation is compulsory. The winner receives the First Prize, The Highland Society of London Trophy for one year, and the Comunn na Piobaireachd (New Zealand) Inc Gold Medal. Former winners are not eligible to compete. Competitors are to submit 3 tunes chosen from the list of 8 Gold Medal tunes above, one of which they will be required to play.
Entry to the Gold Medal competition is restricted to pipers who have not previously won the Gold Medal event and who are:
a. Pipers with a P&D Assn ‘A’ Grade, or
b. Pipers who have been awarded a prize (other than first prize) in a previous Comunn na Piobaireachd Gold Medal competition since 1990, or
c. Pipers who have previously won the Comunn na Piobaireachd Silver Medal competition.
No medal will be awarded if the judges are of the opinion that the standard does not warrant the award.