I think this is earlier than in the past, which is great as it enables pipers to get a head start on the tunes. It is also helpful in New Zealand as our Clasp, Gold and Silver Medal tunes are based on the UK list, so it allows the Comunn na Piobaireachd NZ Music Committee to get our list out early as well.
The Music Committee of CNP will make a decision on which of the Piobaireachd Society (UK) 2009 tunes will be added to the NZ list within a week from now.
The following tunes for 2009 have just been announced by the Piobaireachd Society. Four tunes from the Senior Competitions list below will be added to the NZ Clasp list and four tunes from the Gold Medal list below will be added to the NZ Gold Medal List. The complete NZ lists for 2009 will be announced shortly. See piobaireachd.co.uk for details.
A. SENIOR COMPETITIONS
• The Earl of Ross’s March PS 10
• Lament for Donald Ban MacCrimmon PS 2, K
• The MacDonalds’ Salute (*) PS 11
• Lament for the Duke of Hamilton PS 3, K
• Rory MacLoude’s Lament PS 11, K
• Lament for the Children PS 3, K
• The Battle of Waternish PS 2, K
• Lament for the Harp Tree PS 12, K
• MacLeod of MacLeod’s Lament PS 15, K
• John Garve MacLeod of Raasay’s Lament PS 5, K
• Lament for the Earl of Antrim PS 3, K
• Mrs MacLeod of Talisker’s Salute PS 11, K
• MacLeod of Colbeck’s Lament PS 10
• Lament for Patrick Og MacCrimmon PS 3, K
Competitors will submit six tunes from the above list, one of which they will be required to play. (*) The version of this tune in PS 11 is considered to be deficient and a revised version will be published in the next re-print of the book. The revised score will be made available on the Society’s website.
B. GOLD MEDAL COMPETITIONS
• Lament for MacDonald’s Tutor PS 3, K
• Lament for the Dead PS 11
• The MacRaes’ March PS 10
• Nameless: ‘Hiharin dro o dro’ PS 4, K
• Beloved Scotland PS 6, K
• The Earl of Seaforth’s Salute PS 5, K
• The Battle of Auldearn No 2 PS 2, K
• Lament for the Viscount of Dundee PS 1, K
Competitors will submit two tunes from Group 1 and two tunes from Group 2. They will be required to play one tune.
C. SILVER MEDAL COMPETITIONS
• The Mackays’ Banner PS 7, K
• Mackintosh’s Lament PS 8, K
• Tulloch Ard PS 6, K
• The Piper’s Warning to his Master PS 12, K
• The Gathering of Clan Chattan PS 2, K
• A Flame of Wrath for Patrick Caogach PS 5, K
• The Desperate Battle PS 7, K
• Lament for Captain MacDougall PS 6, K
Competitors will submit four tunes from the above list, one of which they will be required to play. PS = Piobaireachd Society Collection K = Kilberry Book of Ceol Mor
Competitors are not restricted to the settings or styles in the books mentioned above, and may play any other setting or style, provided that the judges may take into consideration the authenticity and merits of the setting or style submitted. Competitors are advised to give advance notice to the judges should they intend to play settings or styles different from sources stated above. Altogether different tunes known by the same or similar names will not be accepted as alternatives. This announcement is made by the Piobaireachd Society to ensure earliest publication. It is without prejudice to any arrangements made by either the Argyllshire Gathering or the Northern Meeting.
For the Music Committee
Alan Forbes, Honorary Secretary
Last Updated ( Thursday, 27 March 2008 )
The following text from the new Piobaireachd Society web site is a well written summation of Piobaireachd, and it’s an example of the content of their fantastic new site. Take a look. You’ll love it and learn something in the process. I did. Top marks to the Piobaireachd Society!